Sunday 6 October 2013

Olawale ojo, MTN Project Fame winner: Yes, this is my time!

But for his mum, he probably would never have dabbled into music and never contested in Project Fame West Africa (PFWA) and by extension, Nigerians probably might never have heard of him. This much the winner of this year’s MTN Project Fame music reality TV show, Olawale Ayodele Ojo, who went home with a whopping N5 million, a brand new SUV and a recording deal worth millions of naira disclosed to Zika Bobby.

Going down memory lane, the 25-year-old student of Agronomy who resides in Ibadan shared his father’s reaction and what transpired on the day his father found out he was a singer. He went on describing how his father had told him to steer clear of music: “The day my dad found out that I loved music more than anything else in the world is one I still remember vividly because my dad was furious! He admonished me instructing me to be serious with my studies and dump the idea of becoming a musician. It was my mum who told me that I should always follow my dreams and ensure that I achieve them no matter what happens.”
Olawale disclosed that while in school, life was not a bed of roses. He had to hustle to make ends meet. Consequently he ended up being a laptop/phone technician.
“While in school I kept myself busy by repairing and customizing phones for people. I was friend to all and I must say that because of my sincerity and calmness, many people liked me. While in school, I was always singing; there was nothing I did without music. Music has always been my life. It was a friend, Segun, who first sold to me the idea of entering for MTN Project Fame auditions. I am so glad it turned out so nicely.”
Olawale says that appearing on the famous TV show was his first and only in his entire life: “I have never sang on a stage before nor auditioned for any musical show in my entire life until Project Fame 2013 came along.
“I actually started music properly when I got into the university. It was adventure that made me go for Project Fame. During the auditions I was very nervous and scared. I was shocked and went blank when I was announced winner!”

The Academy
Olawale has words of gratitude for the Academy. According to him, the Academy changed his life forever.
“Being in the Academy was fun. I really didn’t miss the outside world. If I was allowed to take anything into the academy, it would have been my phone because I could listen to music with it.
“Apart from the fact that you are cut off from the outside world, the Academy was really cool; the instructors were wonderful people. They transformed my life for the better. I am leaving the Academy a more improved and better Olawale Ayodele Ojo. All credit goes to them (Faculty) for bringing out the best in me,” he said.
Fondly referred to by friends as pimp because of his amazing skills in laptop and phone repairs in school, the newest millionaire in town says he looks forward to being a better performer after his experience at the Academy.
He added that while in the house, contestant Rowland was his closest pal.
“Among my fellow housemates, Roland was the one who gave me so much motivation. This is one guy who is a great singer but there he was saying he loved the way I sang and that I was the best he has seen. That really got me motivated.
“Roland was the first to see the winner in me. I went blank on stage when I was announced the winner. It took me time before I could comprehend that I had won. I find it difficult to express my emotions. I hardly cry so when I was announced winner, I just went blank,” Olawale added.

Beyond Project Fame
With N5million, a state-of-the-art SUV, and a multi-million naira record deal, Olawale is gazing into the future with a lot of optimism. Hear him: “Beyond Project Fame, I hope to do something unique with my music. I know it’s going to involve a lot of hard work and though I started music late, I want to take music to a whole different level and make a name for myself. I don’t want to be like every other person.”
“I also want to use this opportunity to say that everyone is uniqueness; all you need to do is discover it. I took my time before entering for the audition. I believe if I had come into Project Fame two years ago I would have failed. There is time for everything and this is my time,” Olawale concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment