Wednesday 21 August 2013

EMPEROR AND THE JOURNALISM OF THE STOMACH, BY UCHE ONWUCHEKWA

 
Two months ago, I was tempted to put a call through Emperor Iwuala over a photograph he mischievously culled from a publication claiming an offence by Imo Deputy governor and further cited CBN acts, forgetting the fact that in photo journalism as it is the belief, not everything on photo is real because of angles and advance in technology. 
Again, the jack of all trade and master of none called Emperor Iwuala showed his infantile misdemeanour when he told me that for him to withdraw from the mischievous publication that I must pay his bills. I queried to know the reason for gratification even with his level as a one-time Chief Press Secretary to Ada Okwuonu, one time Media Consultant or whatever to whomever, he simply told me; "don’t you know that I am working for some people. If you want me to drop, you must be saying something I should understand."
Again, I probed further even teaching Mr. or Barr. Iwuala the intricacies in photo journalism, of course, like a very old charged retarded he goat, he went ahead and published such and raised all sorts of moral questions whipping up sentiments for the applause of people not known to me.
Again, this same old warhorse queried to know why a junior like me should be calling him to order. We all know that the old age of Methuselah has nothing to do with the Wisdom of Solomon. The Journalist lawyer boasted how wealthy he is and how much he has made from the past government. This young Lawyer is rather telling the world that the practice of Journalism is all about the stomach. How can anyone explain such end of Journalism? It sounds like a story told by a Court Jester if not an idiot. 
Again, Emperor Iwuala Nnabuihe is a disgrace to highly priced personality of the people in the ink vocation. In as much as his posturing seems a man in search of just and fair society if not a social crusader, but hindsight depicts a man who is a repository of vanity. Studying Emperor Iwuala proved to me chaff parading himself a superman. His modus operandi is so crude and unrefined. This rudderless-emperor-like action of a supposed leveller is most contradictory. And rather than adopt a civilized means of asking for a job, he would prefer going the way of a hungry attacking bingo waiting in return for an invitation for a talk. This gutter approach of this Journalist may have worked for him both in name and in character under certain regime but we do not negotiate with a fanatical terrorist.
It is most unfortunate that this 'squealer' of sort in his own right has in no little measure shown disrespect to the purest of human breed in Prince Eze Madumere, the Deputy governor of Imo State. Emperor must be called to order by the Nigerian Union of Journalists and other professionals who still want the glory of the vocation to worth anything at all. I want to also call on the Nigeria Bar Association to take appropriate step to call Iwuala to order. Much as I do not want to join issues with a rebellious character like Iwuala. Matter of serious concern is alleged and rather than go the extra mile to uncover the fact, the lazy and lousy Iwuala is busy dancing around a dusty spot to raise as much discomfort he could. Speaking so disgruntling of a private life of a man he knows nothing about shows a corrupt mind ready to make concessions for porridge. I still wonder how this rain soaked confused hireling should be allowed a space in any public platform. I know about Emperor Iwuala's private life and I have got to know his fallibilities as an imperfect human like me but will never bring such to the public sphere as it has no value to public or the people of Imo State.
Again, for poverty of mind, most Media outfits established without any vision but for the purposes of the stomach have made themselves a veritable platform where street urchins have prospered in impunity. This is not limited to the Print Media as Radio Stations are also found to be in this mess. 
From my little enquiries, I have not only realized that the Radio Station in question and its molestation to the public are drawn from the Policy of the ownership. It is due to this findings that I will not heap the bulk of the blames on the presenters but rather call the attention of the regulating agencies for them to call them to order. A situation whereby, no research is done on issue, you pick up a sensationalized Newspaper Cover banners, and make a topical issue in your phone-in programme without cross-checking or bringing the actors involved to make input is an absurdity. It is a plan-less and an unprofessional shoddy approach, which is ambush manner.
Even if the ownership of such outfit meant for public outreach is engrossed with the system, it can pretend to be neutral while doing its best through the best practice to bring out other side of the system. Constructive criticism will always make an acceptable norm.
Coming back to Emperor and other reckless practitioners, I must forewarn the dastardly effect of assuaging the taste of money before establishing the essence of the calling. These character assassinators have recently found a heaven on Internet platforms via blogs, Facebook pages, websites and other Internet tools but guess what, you are not invisible. Let us practice this job in a manner where its glory may still be preserved for the generations yet unborn to still aspire to succeed the present soldiers except we want the ugly situation to cause the extinction of the vocation.
Guess what, Madumere would prefer a soul searching song and that is the consolation of every right thinking being; "I will be what my God says I will be, not even the evil handiwork of any man can stop it. I have only learnt to be diligent, remain faithful and humble to my master and people above me and those that are under me. I have told my God that I will do those things through his power he has commanded that I should do in order not to disappoint Him and my loved ones". Distilling such words from this man of humility, not even a million and one Emperors would change the cause of divinity. I rest my case.

 ONWUCHEKWA, is CPS to Imo Deputy Governor, south east Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment